Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

"I've Got a Right to Sing the Blues"

Posted by Richardholland 
"I've Got a Right to Sing the Blues"
July 04, 2013 10:22AM
I just found this song [www.youtube.com] on YouTube. I wonder when and were did Peggy sing this? It is a live recording as far as I can tell. I love it very much. Hope someone has an answer. Thanks.

Richard
Iv
Re: "I've Got a Right to Sing the Blues"
July 08, 2013 03:30PM
Hi Richard,

This radio version is from an episode of Let's Go To Town, a program produced by the US National Guard. The show's setup involved having a "Band of the Month" and a "Star of the Month." Such a setup meant that, for 4 consecutive episodes, the same singer and the same bandleader were spotlighted. The bandleader starring along with Peggy during that particular month was Billy May. She was heard singing two numbers per show.

Somewhere in my records, I have an approximate date for this performance, but I'm not at home right now. Going by memory alone, I can say with certainty that the date falls within Peggy's Decca period -- early to mid-1950s ... maybe 1955, maybe one or two years earlier.

I've heard at least three Peggy Lee versions (possibly more) of this song, all of them from the same period, and all of them fairly similar, but this particular version is my favorite. Incidentally, it has actually appeared in quite a few LPs and CDs. Here's the first album in which it showed up:

http://www.peggyleediscography.com/p/images/Radio/Transcriptions_World_Uncollected_Peggy_Lee_3.jpg

Alas, the sound quality of the audio at YouTube is not good; the performance sounds a lot better in the LPs and CDs that I have. (I wonder if the YouTube uploader used one of those poor-quality MP3 transfers.)

Among Peggy's other versions, one was televised. She sings the entire song as she slowly descends the stairs of a famous, historical New Orleans mansion. When she lands downstairs, we see "her man" (the one for whom she has been singing the blues) there, sitting in a comfort chair. Or rather, we see the back of his head (Don-Draper, Mad-Men style). I can't remember if that TV version has ever turned up in YouTube ... (Hmm, maybe it has. Given my recollection of having previously asked about the mansion in this forum, I'm thinking that a clip might have been available in YouTube, some years ago.) In any case, the televised version is from the same show as the following duet with Gordon MacRae:

[www.youtube.com]

Ivan
July 09, 2013 02:51AM
Thank Ivan for giving me this information. I always loved this song I've Got a Right to Sing the Blues and Peggy does a great version. Also love the duet with Gordon MacRae.

Richard
August 07, 2013 11:24AM
I was lucky to find this album at a flea market and it is one of my favorites - Peggy at her best!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login