Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Peggy Lee on the Johnny Carson Show

Posted by Richardholland 
Peggy Lee on the Johnny Carson Show
August 26, 2016 02:18AM
Check this one out. Marvelous performance by Peggy Lee on the Johnny Carson Show. She sings a wonderful version of Goin' to Chicago in the Blues Cross Country arrangement. I have never seen this one before. Peggy sounds great. She sang also a moving rendition of Send in the Clowns on this same show, which was on YouTube a couple of years ago. I very much hope that this performance will be on YouTube again very soon. It's the most touching version of this famous Sondheim song in my opinion.

[www.youtube.com]

Richard
Re: Peggy Lee on the Johnny Carson Show
August 26, 2016 02:38PM
Great! What a joy! Isn't she marvellous!

Thanks Richard!
August 27, 2016 01:19AM
Wow! Never heard her singing that good in a show from the mid 70s. I always wondered why she wouldn't sing in a lower key because she often sounded so weak and frail in her later years. Now I understand that she still really had that range, but couldn't use it full force because very often she was in a bad state of health. Not on this occasion. Fantastic performance!

There's also posted "Send In the Clowns". Stunning performance. What a singer...

Greetings to all,
Thomas
Iv
September 02, 2016 10:17AM
Great jazzy performance, with all that "call and response" between Peggy and the trumpet man. (I forgot who he is. Maybe Doc Severisen).

I seem to remember that, after the performance ends, Peggy praises the trumpet player very enthusiastically. But I'm not seeing anything like that in the wonderful Youtube upload. Perhaps it was simply left out, or perhaps I'm thinking of another show.

One episode of the Tonight Show that I've never seen, and would love to: Peggy singing "Touch Me in the Morning" and "Send a Little Love my Way." I am not aware of any other performances of the latter, and we know that she did great renditions of the former. 1976.

Ivan
September 06, 2016 06:47PM
I believe the trumpet player was Pete Candoli.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login