Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Interview on Johnny Carson

Posted by Richardholland 
Interview on Johnny Carson
August 28, 2016 01:46AM
We are getting spoiled. The interview on the Johnny Carson show is also uploaded. What a treat. Peggy is funny and charming and I love the story about the snakes. She starts a song (Los Angeles Forevermore?) but then the video is cut off.

[www.youtube.com]

Richard
Iv
Re: Interview on Johnny Carson
September 02, 2016 10:00AM
I have always enjoyed that TV interview; it's among my favorites of hers. The snake anecdote is the best part of it. The Raid comment makes me grin.

Also worth noting is her enthusiastic reference to a brand new nightclub/restaurant called Scandals, whose inaugural performer she was slated to be, and in whose honor she apparently threw a press conference. A 1978 interview posted in this website's library gives you a few additional details:

Quote:

The Advocate

Peggy Lee hasn't played a club in Los Angeles in years. The club is new. It's called Scandals and it's gay. Lee inaugurates the showroom this month.

The autumn leaves voice says, "I haven't appeared locally, with the exception of a concert here and there, and a special concert at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion."

"It was 13 years ago," she remembers, "and it was at the Cocoanut Grove."

The Fever woman blinks at the question: "Will this be your first time in front of a predominantly gay audience?"

"I don't know," she says. "I don't look at the audience that closely. I don't think of that at all. I have no opinion on that at all."

"None at all?

"Nope. I don't think there should be. God must have had something in mind."

Similarly noteworthy are her comments about writing: had she not become a singer, she would have loved to be a writer instead.

It is a pity that "Los Angeles Forevermore" was not uploaded to YouTube. That performance is thoroughly beautiful in its simplicity.

Ivan
Re: Interview on Johnny Carson
September 06, 2016 06:50PM
Johnny was obviously a true fan, as was Merv Griffin, and treated her as such.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login