Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New performances on YouTube

Posted by Richardholland 
New performances on YouTube
October 10, 2016 12:10PM
Check out two never seen before performances by Peggy. At first El Toro. What a treat. It's a fantastic performance.
Furthermore I Got It Bad and My Old Flame.

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Richard
Iv
Re: New performances on YouTube
October 14, 2016 10:32AM
I was totally taken aback by those performances of "I Got It Bad" and "My Old Flame," not only because I had never seen them but also because I never knew that they were out there, available to collectors and fans such as us.

"I Got It Bad" was extremely interesting to me. This was a song to which she came back often in the 1980s. I had always assumed that she was using a brand new arrangement or interpretation on those 1980s performances. Turns out that she had been singing the song that way since the 1950s, at least. (The arrangement for the 1980s version does add some really great, key musical-dramatic details, but the framework remains the same.)

"My Old Flame" was ruined for me by the constant interruptions from the drunk character. SO annoying. (That was part of the point of the sketch, I know. In that sense, it worked.) I can't imagine that Peggy was really, truly tickled by this combination of balladic singing and hammy acting. But she surely succeeded at pretending to be!

A self-penned tune, "El toro" is one of Peggy's entries into the world of flamenco (and bullfighting). All the Spanish expressions that she used are characteristic of either the sport or the musical genre, and she pronounces them very well. She totally pulls off the whole performance piece. ¡Faja, maja!

Iván
October 15, 2016 02:42AM
Hello Iván my two favourites are Misty and El Toro. Can you tell us in which year this was on the Ed Sullivan Show? The television section doesn't mention these songs on the Sullivan show listed.

She never recorded El Toro. I totally agree that she pulls of the whole performance with perfect Spanish expressions, but I wonder if she sang it on other shows. Probably in her live shows, but it's too good to be performed only once. Although today a song about idolizing the bullfighter would not be appreciated.

What a treat to be surprised every once in a while with new great performances on YouTube.

Richard.
Iv
October 15, 2016 06:29PM
Hi Richard. From this bunch of clips, those two numbers are my favorites as well.

More importantly, let me send my apologies for misleading you: I meant to say "The Steve Allen Show," not the Sullivan show. (The two shows tend to run together in my mind's "reel," ha. I'll be editing that earlier post, to correct the mistake.)

The episode was broadcast on January 18, 1960, and Jimmy Durante was one of the other guests. Now that you have the correct information, you will see that "El toro" is, after all, listed in the television section of this site, bearing the sub-title "My matador."

Unfortunately, I do not recall coming across details involving any other performances of "El toro," whether in concert or on television. I do agree with you, though, that she might have sung it in concerts, too.

Peggy Lee's co-writer for "El toro" was the celebrated guitarist Laurindo Almeida, with whom she had previously co-written "The Gypsy with Fire in His Shoes." That one was actually a movie theme which the singer recorded on Decca Records.

Peggy did have some autobiographical connections to the world of toreros or "matadores." In the late 1950s, legendary matador Carlos "El ciclón" Arruza dedicated one bull to her. (Carlos was friendly with Peggy's second husband, Dewey Martin, who was a big fan of the sport. Peggy probably wasn't.) She wrote a song, titled "The Walk to the Ring (Theme for Carlos)," which I assume to be her own dedication to the bullfighter. (I do not know its lyrics, however.)

Peggy seems to have often written lyrics inspired by -- and most likely intended for -- the albums that she was planning to record ... songs that, alas, did not always make it onto such albums. This one might have been intended for Olé Ala Lee. Instead, another composition of hers, "Olé," ended up being included on that album.

I know that some of us are horrified when I make casual comparisons between the discographies of Peggy and Madonna, but I'll come out and cause another scandal anyway: Madonna's equivalent to Peggy's "My matador" is "Take a Bow" (a song that la Ciccone co-wrote with Babyface), especially in its video version.

Iván
October 16, 2016 03:05AM
Thanks Iván for sharing this information. I wish she did record El Toro because it's such a great song and I love the way she handles the Spanish expressions, but I'm very glad to be able to watch her performance on YouTube. Hope it will stay there forever.

Richard.
Iv
June 05, 2017 09:11PM
Have we mentioned the following performance? I love Peggy's special lyrics for "Smack Dab in the Middle!"
(And Steve Allen better appreciated the ones for the other number!!)

[www.youtube.com]

Ivan
June 08, 2017 02:38PM
Hi all,

I just watched a very nice interview on YouTube with Holly on Martini in the Morning. I don't know if it was mentioned here (26-5-2017). Just don't miss it. Maybe someone can put it up here?

Greetings.
Theo.
Iv
June 10, 2017 11:29AM
You are absolutely right, Theo; none of us had mentioned it yet. I too watched it and enjoyed it! Here is the link:

[www.youtube.com]

I believe that, for the last few consecutive years, Holly has actually been the guest of Martini in the Morning on every May the 26th.

Ivan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login