Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Kay Starr 1922-2016

Posted by peggyfan 
Kay Starr 1922-2016
November 04, 2016 04:52PM
Here is the late Kay Starr, Capitol label-mate of Peggy Lee, singing Peggy's and Dave Barbour's "It's a Good Day" in 1952:

[www.youtube.com]

Here are links to some obituaries:

Washington Post: [www.washingtonpost.com]

New York Times: [www.nytimes.com]

Los Angeles Times: [www.latimes.com]

And courtesy of the Peggy Lee Discography and Videography, here's a 1948 photo of Peggy, Kay and radio announcer Carl Bailey:

http://www.peggyleediscography.com/p/images/Profiles/1948apr-radio-kxla-carlbailey-kaystarr.jpg

David
Re: Kay Starr 1922-2016
December 03, 2016 06:44AM
Hi,

I am wondering a little bit why the passing of Kay Starr doesn't get any more comments. She was not only a label-mate of Peggy but to my knowledge they were neighbours and she was now and then invited to Peggy's house.

And besides all that: She was one of the greatest singers in the history of American pop/jazz music...

All the Best,
Thomas
Iv
December 25, 2016 01:10PM
Do you mean, not enough comments on this forum, Thomas? Well, I am of two minds about it. On the one hand, she is another of my favorite singers. (If I weren't perpetually and happily busy with the never-ever finished Peggy Lee discography, I would probably be doing a Kay Starr discography.) On the other hand, some comments that I read in a recent Lee biography made me question if Starr's own music deserves to have any extended discussion in a Lee forum ... All that having been said, it's worth bearing in mind that the tenor and factual accuracy of that biography (or, at least, parts of it) has been taken to task by some of us. Perhaps there is no reason to put too much trust in what is said there, then.

I should probably pay more heed to Kay's own direct words. Case in point: below is my transcript of a 1993 interview with Skip Lowe. From their exchange, I've copied below a segment following a query as to whether Kay had been involved in the world of making movies.

Starr: I was under the impression that you could only do one thing at a time. Shows how dumb I am .......

Lowe: Nah. Look at Pa... Dolly Parton.

Starr: I realize that ...

Lowe: You know. Dolly Parton, darling.

Starr: I realize all that now, but this is after the fact!

Lowe: Kay Starr, I'm looking at you. Come on, sweet. I'm looking at you, darling. You and Dolly Parton, honey. You share -- she has nothing in common with you. You got it all, for me! Come on, nonny.

Starr: Wait a minute, wait a minute. Don't get carried away now.

Lowe: No, Kay Starr, come on.

Starr: I have a place, and she has a place.

Lowe: Okay ...

Starr: Her place is bigger than mine

Lowe: Okay ...

Starr: but that's okay with me! You know, I don't mind! No, she is an extremely talented lady, I tell you. And Peggy Lee lives right down the street from me and look at all the things Peggy can do.

Lowe: Oh, she's great.

Starr: She can sing. She can write songs.

Lowe: Good actress, good actress.

Starr: She's a good actress. Have you ever seen anything she's painted?

Lowe: She's a good painter, too.

Starr: Oh god, she's divine!

Lowe: How's she doing nowadays? You know, she's ...

Starr: I haven't heard from her lately but, oh ... She's been doing really good. She told me she was gonna walk on the Hollywood Bowl. 'You watch me;' she said. 'I'm going to walk from the wings to the middle of the stage.' And I said to myself, 'Oh girl. Dream on.'

Lowe: Is that's what she said?

Starr: She said, 'I'm gonna do it; you wait and see.' And by god, she did it.
December 27, 2016 05:31AM
Hello Iv,

I don't know this particular biography and what's written there about any relationship between Peggy Lee and Kay Starr.

I only know that a friend of mine was close to Peggy in the late 80s and early 90s and he was staying at Peggy's house as her guest when she gave a birthday party for her cat "Baby"... and Kay Starr was invited.

I think it should be possible to pay tribute to a great singer on a homepage that is dedicated to another great singer, regardless of any career quarrels that may or may not have occurred in the past.

We are all human beings with many good parts and also some faults and flaws. And our beloved artists Peggy Lee and Kay Starr certainly were no exceptions.

Thanks for posting excerpts from the interview, I have seen it on YouTube, too. I think it was sort of a challenge to be interviewed by Skip E. Lowe. I think his "style" is rather spooky in some parts. But his merit certainly was to get many of the legends in front of a camera, talking to him about their careers.

According to that and also some other interviews, I got the impression that she was very much down to earth and loved people. And to me, it can be heard in her singing.

All the best to you, Ivan, and to all of you forum members, for the new year to come.

Thomas
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login