Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

One for Mary...

Posted by Kevin 
One for Mary...
February 28, 2017 08:00AM
Did the late Mary Tyler Moore intimidate Peggy Lee? You may well wonder after viewing an episode of her eponymous classic TV show of the 1970s. In this brief clip, Mary, as Mary Richards, suggests that she might sing "One For My Baby" as entertainment during an upcoming awards show for which she is to serve as talent coordinator. Ed Asner, as Lou Grant, asks her to perform, so he can assess her abilities. Shyly, she demurs for a few moments, noting that she is not really prepared to sing right then and there, in Lou's office. Among other things, she says her rendition would be "better with a piano" accompanying her. Lou retorts, "it would be better with Peggy Lee..." So, to prove him wrong, Mary launches into her incredible, indelible version of the standard:

[www.youtube.com]

As far as I know, Peggy Lee did not have the courage to attempt to top Mary's performance, so score one for Mary.

On the other hand, you can decide for yourself who handled "I'm A Woman" and "She Didn't Say Yes" better if you watch this less well-known clip, lifted from Mary's variety special a few years later:

[www.youtube.com]

If you want to see the clip in context, the full sequence begins here:

[www.youtube.com]
Re: One for Mary...
March 14, 2017 10:18PM
I love Mary Tyler Moore, but her reading of "I'm a Woman" (after Maria Muldaur, not Peggy Lee) isn't the high point of her magnificent career.
March 15, 2017 05:46AM
Surely Mary's singing One for My Baby is intentionally comical. I see no reason that Peggy would be intimated by Mary's singing. She has a good voice and her performance of I'm a Women is fine but it doesn't match Peggy's.
Iv
June 05, 2017 07:49PM
I hope it's clear that Kevin (a major fan of Peggy, like all of us here) was being tongue-in-cheek in his original post ...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login