Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Similau

Posted by Dennis 
Similau
September 18, 2017 12:54AM
The new Samsung Note 8 commercial uses Peggy Lee singing "Similau".
Re: Similau
September 20, 2017 10:02AM
September 21, 2017 11:41AM
September 25, 2017 08:01PM
Iv
September 26, 2017 06:42AM
Thank you. It's wonderful to now be able to hear "Similau" in a commercial. Crisp and crystal clear sound, too.

A correction is needed in one of the links above. I'm referring to the link that contains a transcription of the song's lyrics. The transcription errs when it gives the main line as

I Similau

No, the first word is not "I."

This song has a Caribbean background. In Spanish, the line is

Ay, Similó.

What would be the correction translation into English, then? ... Well, "ay" is an interjection that Spanish speakers use in a wide variety of contexts. Hence it has multiple meanings. It is most frequently uttered as a reaction to a variety of sensations, from pain to pleasure. Various other usages are relatively common as well.

So ... The line in question could be translated as

Aye Similau

or as

Yes Similau

provided that this "yes" is understood to carry intensity and passion. It is not a gentle affirmative, but a frenzied kind of "yes" -- and part of the invocation of the titular spirit of the wood.

("Aye" is, of course, an archaic word. As anybody who watches the show Game of Thrones knows, the English language once used it often, to mean "yes." Nowadays the word survives in only very specific, formal contexts.)

Ivan
September 27, 2017 06:08PM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login