Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Petula Clark on Peggy Lee

Posted by peggyfan 
Petula Clark on Peggy Lee
November 23, 2017 08:06PM
Excerpt from a new interview with Petula Clark on People.com:

Q: Your new album has several covers, including the Beatles’ “Blackbird” and Peggy Lee’s “Fever.” What do you look for when you’re covering a song? What speaks to you and makes you decide you need to sing it?

A: Most of this album is produced by a man, would you believe, with the name of John Williams. He’s not your John Williams! He’s an English John Williams and he suggested “Blackbird.” I’m asked to do Beatles songs all the time and I do sing them—I love them. I always hesitated doing this one because it’s a rather fragile little song. So we played Paul’s version, which is absolutely gorgeous, and I said, “John, what am I going to do with it?” And he said, “You will sing it—that’s what you’re going to do with it!” [laughs] So I did, and it’s absolutely lovely, I absolutely adored singing it. It’s quite a complex little song, actually.

And “Fever,” I didn’t want to do that at all because I had grown up listening to Peggy Lee. She was my idol and I knew every breath she took on Black Coffee—you know her wonderful album? I knew every breath, everything. One day many, many years later I actually met her, which I saw as a moment of truth. And she was great and she seemed delightful and everything. We sang together, she guested on my show, and we became friends. So I said to John, “I can’t sing ‘Fever,’ that’s her song.” And he said, “Yes you can!” He wanted me to do this, so I had to go somewhere for a couple of hours and I came back and they had done the [backing] track. I went to my microphone and before I’d started singing I had a little word with Peggy. I said, “OK, girl, I hope you don’t mind me doing this, but you have to know that every time I’m singing this I’m going to see you and you’re going to be as beautiful and flashy as ever.” So that’s the truth.

[people.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login