Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Peggy Lee with William B. Williams (1968 & 1976)

Posted by Iv 
David Melchionne: "Does anyone remember this one: 412 WHAT'S A 412?"

Overacting. Let's go.

Gerry
Hey Gerry,

I can't believe that you remembered that one. Ted used to play that clip by itself all the time, and I never knew where it came from until he played the whole bit once. Anyway, thanks for responding and bringing back some good memories.

Dave Melchionne
I met the KQEW William B Willams at a function at Momma Leone's and had an enjoyable meeting with him. He admitted the name was a fake but I do not know what his real name was. I was part of an HFC group that was being feted by the radio station who handled the HFC commercials.
Re: Peggy Lee with William B. Williams (1968 & 1976)
January 02, 2007 03:09PM
I have in mint condition for sale the five Volumes/boxes (with four LP records in each box) of William B. Williams "Make-Believe Ballroom" which I purchased from American Express. I can't remember the exact year but I'm guessing it was in the 1960s. I'm 84 now so it has been some time ago <smile>. If anyone is interested in more details, please email me at bettyaknight@comcast.net.

Be well, at peace, and take good care.

Sincerely,
Betty A Knight
March 23, 2007 11:03AM
Yes, I think Willy B.'s name was William Breitbart or some such and he came from Babylon, Long Island. At some point, he would go on about Ava Gardner a lot, who I think was living in Spain at the time, and that is when he started referring to himself by the Spanish version of William B. I did not learn that he was Jewish until his funeral. On that day, WNEW played, all day, the most beautiful poignant, ballads of all time. And when William B. passed, NEW was never the same. One of his first programs was "In a Sentimental Mood" from 1PM to 2PM, ushered in with the theme: "In a Sentimental Mood", perhaps by Ellington. This was '53, '54 and I listened when I was in the Army. After that, a guy named Bert Wayne came on for a few hours. Anyone remember him? He used to say, "Um-Gawwah" a lot, whatever that meant. Ah, the times of the disc jockeys and beautiful popular music. Gone forever, I fear.
May 19, 2007 06:52PM
If you know which volume you want, I have the whole set.
June 26, 2011 07:10PM
Hi Dave... I am interested in purchasing some of the WNEW 1130 AM unscoped airchecks that you have. Can you please email a list of what you have (William B. Williams? Ted Brown? And the year of broadcast). Please email me at johnkorolowassoc@aol.com
don
June 29, 2011 07:39AM
Willy B. was another nickname. He gave Frank Sinatra the title "Chairman of the Board" I had listened to WNEW since I was very young. Charlie Barnet was the band in the early thirties that introduced the Make Believe Ballroom and after that Glenn Miller and the Modernaires recorded a new song as an opener. It was sad day the station changed format. I bought two posters one of Frank Sinatra and one of Peggy Lee a donation to the Lupus Foundation. I have a hardcover WNEW book covering the history of the station and all the DJs. Ted Brown was a big favorite and he loved Peggy Lee. In an interview one of the questions was how does it feel to know you have a voice that when you hear a singer you know it's Peggy Lee. I forget what her reply was. Oh did I mention I love Miss Peggy Lee.
don
July 01, 2011 08:32AM
Willy B was also a nickname of WBW. He also named Frank Sinatra "Chairman of the Board". Peggy Lee was a big favorite of WNEW, I know because of my teenage sister, I was introduced to the station back in 1936. Charlie Barnet and the Modernaires' version of Make Believe Ballroom opened the program. After that Glenn and the Modernaires recorded "Make Believe Ballroom Time" (1940). Ted Brown was a popular disc jockey.

In an interview with Peggy Lee "How does it feel to know you have a voice that everyone knows it's you when you sing." (How true.) I don't remember what she answered. Four posters were issued by the station to support the Lupus Foundation. Peggy Lee, Frank Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong. They read "Blessed With America's Best AM 1130." A very sad day when the format left the air. By the way I do love Miss Peggy Lee.
July 01, 2011 08:37AM
This past Monday, William B. Williams was inducted into the New York State Broadcasters Hall of Fame. Here's a New York Daily News article about him:

[www.nydailynews.com]
February 26, 2017 09:26AM
Do you still have all volumes of the William Williams Ballroom recordings? I am looking for certain volumes. Thanks.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login