Capitol Records / Universal Music Enterprises
Release date: November 18, 2022
To honor one of her most treasured and evocative albums, Capitol Records and Universal Music Enterprises (UMe), in conjunction with Peggy Lee Associates, announce a 50th-anniversary edition of Peggy Lee’s Norma Deloris Egstrom from Jamestown, North Dakota.
Set for a November 18 release, the deluxe anniversary edition features the ten original album master tracks plus seven bonus tracks consisting of five alternate takes, a session outtake, and an Oscar-nominated Best Original Song from the same era. The bonus tracks will make their digital debut. The title will be available on CD and digital formats and is now available to order.
“It is a stirring and remarkably melancholic album that gives voice to grief and isolation through Lee’s wrenching performances of ‘It Takes Too Long to Learn to Live Alone’ and ‘Superstar.’” – New York Times
Originally released in 1972, the album was Lee’s 40th and her last for Capitol Records. The result of a brilliant collaboration with acclaimed producer Tom Catalano (Neil Diamond, Anne Murray), renowned arranger Artie Butler (Louis Armstrong, Barry Manilow, Dionne Warwick), and Lee’s manager and album coordinator Brian Panella, Norma Deloris Egstrom from Jamestown, North Dakota is widely regarded as one of her most beloved albums of all time and an artistic tour de force.
With a title that pays tribute to her roots, the introspective album includes such enduring classics as “A Song for You,” “Just for a Thrill,” “Superstar,” “The More I See You,” “I’ll Be Seeing You,” and many other songs about love, loss, and longing. The 24-page booklet, annotated by Iván Santiago, features new interviews with Tom Catalano, Artie Butler, and Brian Panella and previously unseen photos from the 1972 recording session.
“She stamped her mature, worldly-wise brand on the then-modern songs, replacing youthful idealism with a deeper perspective on love, relationships, and the arc of a human life. But it’s not heavy; it’s bracing.” – Stereophile
The notes by Iván Santiago in the booklet for the CD edition reference supplemental notes, also written by Santiago, which are available in PDF form here (June 2023 version). The supplemental notes do not duplicate the CD booklet notes in any way, but instead are intended to provide even greater detail and context for this remarkable album.
Norma Deloris Egstrom from Jamestown, North Dakota [CD; digital]
- Love Song (Lesley Duncan)
- Razor (Love Me as I Am) (Jack Schechtman)
- When I Found You (Mike Randall)
- A Song for You (Leon Russell)
- It Takes Too Long to Learn to Live Alone (Leon Carr, Robert Allen)
- Superstar (Leon Russell, Bonnie Bramlett)
- Just for a Thrill (Lil Hardin Armstrong, Don Raye)
- Someone Who Cares (Alex Harvey)
- The More I See You (Harry Warren, Mack Gordon)
- I’ll Be Seeing You (Sammy Fain, Irving Kahal)
- It Changes – session outtake^ (Robert Bernard Sherman, Richard Morton Sherman)
- Pieces of Dreams – 45-single^ (Marilyn and Alan Bergman, Michel Legrand)
- When I Found You – alternate take^
- A Song for You – alternate take^
- Someone Who Cares – alternate take^
- The More I See You – alternate take^
- I’ll Be Seeing You – alternate take^
^making digital debut